Wednesday, September 08, 2010

of differentiating between work and otherwise..

Anyway, so working life has been a pretty interesting experience, so to speak. Had some great time and not-so-great time as well. But from all of this, the one thing that I've learned is that being a teacher is not an easy job, and most of the students take things for granted.

I get this question a lot from everyone, "Why are teachers so hot-tempered? It seems like they are so impatient." Well, it is true that majority of the teachers are hot-tempered but if you were to go through what they have to go through, I wont be surprised any of you will turn out the same as well! Hehehe! 

Anyway, allow me to summarize my most common routine everyday at work. Every morning I arrive at the office the first thing to do would be to turn on the aircon and sleep check the sit-in for the day. As a temporary teacher I would have to do most of the sit-ins for the absentees considering most of the other teachers would have their own classes and periods to go to. Sometimes there would be none but once I got 7 out of the maximum of 9. Talk about exhaustion!

Then the next thing to do is to wait for the paperwork to be handed by the superiors. Stuffs that have to be rushed or when they just need an extra hand to help. Most of the time I would be the one doing all of this (don't mean to brag, this isn't something to be proud of anyway LOL) since 1) I am a temporary teacher so basically the entire world thinks that I am the most free teacher that has ever existed and 2) I don't know how to say no. Seriously I don't. I am learning how to but I cannot help feeling dead-guilty after that! As if I've murdered that person, emotionally of course. I feel like before this they were all my teachers and hence, respecting them would be the wise choice.

Well, by now you would be wondering, "that's all? and this is why teacher gets upset so easily?"...kidding! I doubt you will be (..unless, you really are.). Anyway, on top of that, going to classes is a bitch. Excuse me but seriously, sometimes those classes can be one hell of a class. Disrespectful students, one trying to be louder than the other because god-knows-why, endless talking, and yeah, basically treating me like i was the invincible man. Not just that, you'll be so stressed out as in IF the principal will pass-by your class at that very moment because if he did, you have one hell of a lecture to attend to in his office later. Something about not being firm enough, I recalled. haha! Oh and imagine if i have 7 periods, meaning to say I have to go through that 7 times in a day!

So yea, endless amount of work, datelines to meet, pressure from the superiors and the departments, rowdy students, stress from trying to catch up with the syllabus and such can really push a teacher over the edge. But alas, none of the students nowadays are considerate. Some even ask me once on why are they not allowed to eat in class. Well we teachers barely have time to eat and dont you think it's disrespectful to eat in front of us? And to top it off, while we are teaching? well that clearly shows where are your attention. And I also get students asking me why do teachers throw fits just because students talk in class. Oh the agony.

Anyway, I'm still wondering if I should resign now and just enjoy the last few months of this year. I mean, teaching is fun and all but I've realized that I'm becoming very short-tempered nowadays! It's like I am half as patient as I was before! It's like i'm always angry! LOL I've turned into this hot-tempered-impatient-angry monster. I am having a hard time trying to leave the stress at work and just come home and not worry about any of that. Sometimes I'll go home but my mind would still be thinking about work and some of the students who I would really like to rip their heads and limbs off parts by parts.

Right. I guess that's my story on my first ever job! =D

Till then.

No comments: